Wednesday 21 October 2009

Day 6: All the Education

Again, apologies for this being late. This morning started with a quiet drive to meet the others as the family I’m staying with can’t really speak English! Here, we attended part of a bible group that was happening in the church where they spoke of the traditions about temples and clothing from Exodus. We weren’t able to stay for all of this because we had to drive to the Christian University where we were meeting the principle. He gave us a brief introduction to the ~University and its history before giving us a tour of the uni (starting to sound familiar?). After this we went for lunch, today I was given a special meat dish (yay!) whilst everyone else continued to eat crab, shark fin soup and full fish. The dinner was with the principle and deputy principle and an English teacher from the Christian High School we would be visiting after dinner. When we arrived we soon realised how large it was when they told us they had 5000 students there. Again we had a short introduction/history before being given a tour. Included in the tour was a tour of their museums that they have at the school – Presbytery Church & School, Taiwanese things, Fossils, Shells and butterflies. Amongst this tours we stopped off for the toilet where everyone forgot about me and so I ended up lost in the middle of the school(!). Luckily enough, I only had to wait 5/10 minutes before someone found me and took me back to the group. After the visit of the school we got back on the bus and returned to the church we started off at and were picked up by our host families. I was taken to a restaurant where I was promised no seafood however when I arrived only 1 dish did not contain seafood but it was nice so I ate the 1 dish. When we were at the restaurant, one of their friends was principle at an English school so he translated any questions that I needed answering and vice versa. This was really good getting to know their friends and family. Part way through the meal I was told that I would be attending a worship at their house where 20/30 people were waiting to meet me so I was quite nervous. When I arrived, all 25 people clapped as I entered the room :S. I later found out that this was a type of prayer group which travels round the homes of those involved giving a family blessing depending on who’s house they are at. I thought this was a really nice idea and maybe something that could be used in our churches. The pastor gave a short talk and then it was my turn, I was asked to talk about myself, family and my church before being asked questions- i felt like i was on a tv show! Everyone seemed to appreciate and enjoy what I said so it must of been the right thing. I’m currently in bed, quite cold as the air con is blaring out(!) but tired so am going to go to sleep.
One last thing; I had a conversation with Marion on the bus today which seemed to really speak to me. There have been times during my trip where I have questioned why I am here as I am really homesick but its made me think that maybe I’m here for a reason. Even if that is just to pass on the Taiwanese dream of becoming an independent country or purely just to build my own self esteem and confidence – i don’t know but surely I wouldn’t be put through this if there wasn’t a reason why. Anyway I guess I’ll find out eventually, miss everyone terribly! Home soon though :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment